Jeff Davis County Pre-referral interventions framework is aligned with the national MTSS model. MTSS (Multi-Tiered System of Supports) is a “tiered system of supports” that integrates assessment and intervention within a school-wide, multi-level prevention system to maximize student achievement and reduce behavioral problems. Components of MTSS are: Screening, Progress Monitoring, Multi-Level Prevention System, Data Based Decision Making, and Infrastructure.
Jeff Davis Schools implements a model of MTSS that is Response To Intervention (RtI). MTSS/RtI is based on a 3 tier delivery model designed to provide support matched to the student’s needs through the implementation of standards-based classrooms. Georgia Department of Education defines each tier below:
- Tier 1: Primary level of prevention-Instruction/Core Curriculum
- Tier 2: Secondary Level of Prevention-Intervention
- Tier 3: Tertiary Level of Prevention-Intensive Intervention
This model includes the following:
- Evidence-Based instruction as the core of classroom instruction.
- Evidence-based interventions utilized with increasing levels of intensity based on
- The use of a variety of ongoing assessment data to determine which students are not
meeting success academically and/or behaviorally.
- RtI teams, in each school, serve as the driving force for instructional decision making in
- Purposeful allocation of instructional resources based on student assessment data.
- All students participate in general education learning. Students requiring interventions
to meet individual learning expectations will receive support through a systematic
and purposeful process to meet individual needs and areas of concern.