Rules of Conduct
Relentless Pursuit of Excellence
RULES OF CONDUCT FOR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AND INPUT
In order to provide a professional and courteous forum for citizens to bring concerns and issues before the Jeff Davis County Board of Education, we ask that all speakers be aware of the following guidelines:
- In accordance with Board policy, only those individuals who have submitted a written request to the Board Clerk at least 24 hours prior to the meeting will be allowed to speak.
- We have a few simple rules for public comment as required by law. Each person wishing to address the Board must sign this roster prior to the meeting.
- When called upon to speak, each speaker will identify him or herself and will indicate the group, if any, which he or she represents.
- Each speaker will be allowed 5 minutes.
- Time may not be yielded by one speaker to another.
- Discussion on a particular topic will be limited to 30 minutes.
- Comments should be brief, clear, and to the point and must be addressed to the Board and not directed to the audience.
- The topic addressed must be identical to the one submitted in the written request from the speaker.
- Personnel matters will not be discussed during the Community/Public Participation portion of the agenda. Procedures outlined in JDCSS Policy BCBI will be followed.
- Board members will not respond at this meeting to comments or questions from speakers.
- The Board chair or designee has the authority to terminate a speaker’s presentation to the Board for disruptive and otherwise unacceptable behavior, including, but not limited to, abusive, profane, or vulgar language; threatening behavior or words; personal attacks on Board members, school district employees, or other citizens; intimidation; or taunting, and the speaker may be removed from the Board meeting for such conduct as permitted by SB588 - OCGA 20-2-58.